Crisis Pregnancy Services
Our Aim: Improve access to consistent high-quality crisis pregnancy counselling and post abortion services and promote the availability of community-based post-natal and family supports.
The Sexual Health & Crisis Pregnancy Programme is committed to improving the range and quality of services available to a woman during and after a crisis pregnancy. To this end it funds a range of projects in the areas of crisis pregnancy counselling and prevention, pregnancy and parenting support and post-termination medical and counselling services.
The Sexual Health & Crisis Pregnancy Programme does not provide medical or support services directly to the public.
A large part of the Sexual Health & Crisis Pregnancy Programme’s budget goes towards funding organisations that provide free, non-judgemental crisis pregnancy and post-abortion counselling services and post-abortion medical check-ups. The Sexual Health & Crisis Pregnancy Programme also funds a range of organisations and services that support its aims around crisis pregnancy care and prevention, such as youth work, information, counselling and healthcare services.
The Sexual Health & Crisis Pregnancy Programme also provides information leaflets, care guidelines, service directories and funds training for health professionals, counsellors and other sexual health, education and youth work providers on issues related to crisis pregnancy. If you are a service provider and would like to find out more about funding or resources / training available from the Sexual Health & Crisis Pregnancy Programme, please click here
Full details of our work and funded projects can be found in our Annual Report. Please click here to download a copy, or visit the service providers / health professionals area of the site for more information and resources.
Key actions / Work in this area:
- Funding for 15 crisis pregnancy counselling service providers to deliver counselling in over 50 locations nationwide.
- Support for crisis pregnancy counselling services through training and service-development resources.
- Funding supports, education programmes and information resources for new parents (such as the Treoir Young Parents Survival Guide and the Cura post-natal support services).
- Funding of free post-abortion counselling and medical check ups to any woman that is in need of these services in 15 services countrywide.
Information and resources:
- Positive Options – A campaign that promotes free, state-funded crisis pregnancy counselling in over 50 centres throughout Ireland, with a website, www.positiveoptions.ie
- Abortion Aftercare – A campaign that gives information on free abortion medical and counselling services, with a website, www.abortionaftercare.ie
- Crisis Pregnancy Counselling Skills training – A training course designed to support individuals working in a paid or voluntary capacity to further enhance their counselling skills. For more details on training, click here
- Masterclass training for supporting an unplanned pregnancy – crisis pregnancy support training for people who might encounter someone with an unplanned pregnancy in the course of their work. For more details on training, click here
- Toolkit: Establishing and Managing a Crisis Pregnancy Counselling Service – a resource to assist crisis pregnancy counselling services with planning, management, service delivery and operational processes. For more information on this resource please contact the Funding Officer on (01) 8146292.